Monday, December 7, 2009

Farewell My Brave and Beautiful Chickadee...



It is with a heavy heart that I have to say goodbye to my best friend and grandmother, Deedee.

She was my hero. She never met a stranger. She was the most giving person I have ever known. She never held a grudge, and smiled through even the toughest times.

Born into a family of 18 children, Deedee was humble and strong. She would give you her last slice of bread and somehow make you feel good about it.

I will miss her sun-dappled hands, and her love for getting them dirty. I will miss driving with her in the country, and doting on every tree. I will miss everything about my little cotton-haired beauty...my Chickadee.

I was one of very few, fortunate to see the young girl behind her cloak of "The Strong Woman." If I could have picked her up, and cradled her in my arms, I would have. She made each one of her children and grandchildren feel special and unique. She taught us to find solace in the woods, and in hard work, and that a house is a house until you fill it with love, and let mother nature do the rest.

I am so very proud of my grandmother. The world is a different place for me now, but I will focus on the gift that I had of being connected to her the way I have been. I was lucky enough, in later years, to hold her hand, and give back to her a fraction of what she gave to me. I was more fortunate, still, that I had a chance to tell her I loved her again and again, and in the end, that she was my hero.

She is my star flower, my wintergreen berry, my lady slipper...

...She is my Princess in the Pines.

Photobucket

18 comments:

bayrayschild said...

Dearest Annie,
I am wrapping my arms around you during this very sad time in your life.

May peace find you soon.

Audrey

......Thimblefolk.......Barb McNamara said...

Sweet Annie,
What a lovely tribute to DeeDee. May your heart mend soon.
Hugs,
Barb

Dixie Sargent Redmond said...

Tears in my eyes, A-boo. Hugs.

corinna said...

i am sad for your loss,
but glad she is always in your heart

Sandy said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

You wrote some really touching and nice words about such a wonderful lady.

Rachael Kinnison said...

ohh Annie my heart is BREAKING for you! I am so sorry your Chickadee has flown away. Your pain is unimaginable, I know how much she meant to you~ more than words could ever say. She will be watching over you now from Heaven~ be strong Dear friend~ and let me know if there is anything I can do for you. xoxoxoxoxox rachael

tattered 'n torn prims said...

Miss DeeDee's sweet song will sing forever-more in your heart....and through your creations!!! :O)

Take care dear friend!!
Stace

~GoldieLoo Woodworks~ said...

Annie I am so sorry for the loss of your Dee Dee, what a wonderful woman she was. We all the a little dee Dee in our lives, matter a fact we need more Dee Dee's in this world.
Hugs~~Pam

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

Annie, we have all grown to love Deedee through your posts here and on TEA. We will miss her, to, and share in your loss. Miller will help your heart heal.

Sarah

CraBBy GaBBy said...

what a beautiful post from a very sad time. you so beautifully described her spirit even though never met your DeeDee, I feel her warmth thourgh your words. I can only imagine what a soul she had, and so happy that you had a wonderful chance that she was your chickadee. There is no doubt, she shines through you.
with regards,
Heidi

Carol Roll said...

Annie what a beautiful and loving tribute to a very special lady. Your words are so lovely and heartfelt. My thoughts are with you.

Carol Roll said...

Annie your words are so beautiful and such a loving tribute to a lady who meant so much to you and helped shape the lovely lady you are. My thoughts are with you.

A Dancing Mango said...

Annie,
Gosh, This tribute is one of the most beautiful and heartfelt tributes I have ever read.

She has created some beautiful memories for you for your entire life.. Thank God for her and I am praying you will keep finding peace. Hugs, Darlene xo

Suzanne said...

Annie~ you've written a lovely tribute to DeeDee. Hugs to you this Christmas, and many blessings for the coming new year.

Carolee said...

I'm so sorry to read about your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman, and one who will live in your heart forever. Wishing you comfort and peace.

~ Carolee

Wings and Paws Whimsies said...

Oh Annie... what a beautiful tribute to your DeeDee... I am so sorry Anniekins for your loss, I know it hurts some days so bad that you can't hardly bear it but, she is with you always and forever. You have proven that my friend with your touching post.

Hugs and Loves, Mo

Prim and Proper Folks said...

Dear Annie...I am saddened to hear of your sweet DeeDee's passing in December. Your writing is such a beautiful tribute to this wonderfully warm and talented lady. Sending you hugs and prayers...Susan

Nancy Lee Malay said...

I am so sorry about your Grandmother, Annie. What a special relationship you had with her. Thinking of you....Nancy