Friday, July 17, 2009

You know i'm a dreamer..

And this year, I dreamed of a green yard with flowers!

So here are some photos and tips on yard design on a dime!

We worked on this wall and steps last Fall. We had saved every rock we found while excavating to build the house. We were lucky to find some large flat ones, and tried to keep them close by for just this purpose!

This is a picture of last summer: And our Oldie Girl



Here is the same area this Spring:



And here she is now:







Here's the front yard: This is why we called the house, Trash to Treasure.



And this is the front a couple of weeks ago. Click on the picture to see Marshall running wildly at Big Will in the tree, and Frankie just sits and looks at him like he's nuts behind the rock there.



My newest bed still has a lot of work to go, but it's turning out nice for a novice!



I made the bench from an old door i've hung on to, and some large pieces of the trunk of a tree we lost during the ice storm. I just took my screw gun out there, rolled them out of the woods, and screwed the door down. haha..what would Martha say?





I have other beds going, but I don't want to bore you. So here are some tips:

1. I rarely left the house without a shovel. I have dug up so many nice things, including Lillies, Lady slipper (shh), wild Iris, tons of moss, and other neat things, especially for my shade garden.

2. I purchased perennials from local folks. Whenever I saw a sign up for plants, I'd go to their house, and i've ended up with LOTS of things this way. One man sold huge buckets of numerous plants for 5.00, and most of my hosta are from a gal here in town who cuts from her own plants, at 2.00!!!!!!! Huge, beautiful hostas! And her husband made wood lawn ornaments, like the beautiful wheelbarrow on my front yard. Very good price, and nicely done with an old, metal wheel!

3. I bought all of my perennials last year at the end of Fall. They were ugly, but cheap. Because of the good soil we had here, they tripled. Some I were able to take half of and move them to fill in.

4. I bought some plants at Lowes and others at the grocery store...when they were on sale, or buy one get one only. And I kept a mental note of what color and height i wanted in specific areas, i.e., sun, shade, etc..I also purchased at farmer's markets..I got my Solomon Seal at a farmer's market! I love that stuff!!!

5. I accept gifts. hehe My mother has given me plants, my brother dug me up a beautiful Jack in the Pulpit, a landscaper friend GAVE us the leftovers from his bark mulch jobs...!!!

6. Instead of the expense of electrical work, we opted for solar lights going up the stairs. They work great, and are a thrill to see every time I see them. I purchased those for pennies at a discount store.

7. Don't be afraid to take things from indoors to fill in spaces. I use chairs, pails, metal birdcages and even a clock in places to fill in.





I put my bunny house on stilts and created a cute vignette from it. Mr. Bibbles prefers to be indoors, so I got lucky! My brother made me the house for my birthday.



8. Most importantly, do the work yourself! Don't be afraid!


And for those of you who don't know, we lost our Oldie Girl, Ginger just recently. It is very sad not to see her face. But we are lucky to live in the country, and have made her a special resting place. I purchased a customized "house" sign, rather than a memory stone, as I wanted something with her name on it. It was a fraction of the cost too, and looks so beautiful, in my opinion. RIP my sister..xo








So for those of you who follow my blog, and have been wondering what i've been up to..this is a small example. hehe

Hugs and best wishes..

annie

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Your yard looks absolutely beautiful!!! You have done alot and are really good at it :) Do you want to come and finish helping me...LOL

What a wonderful memory spot for your Ginger. I love the idea!

And thanks for the tips...I just may have to try some :)

AwtemNymf said...

Oh My- your dwellings is beautiful. I love the dedication area you have for Ginger! Awwww! All that green highlights your quaint house! So Enchanting! I enjoyed my visit. And enjoy your hard work! Well done!!

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Annie
I love everything that you have done. It's inspirational to watch the transformation.
Many blessings to you
Blondie

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear about Ginger . . .

Your garden is beautiful. I envy you the Jack in the Pulpit. Mine, along with some Dutchman's Britches and some Trillium, all from my parent's garden, got dug up last winter when we started the renovation.

give the kitties and Marshall and Mitte pets from me. Come visit soon.

Sarah

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

So sorry about Ginger, Annie.

Love your garden! Come visit soon!

Sarah

Martha said...

Wonderful Post! Your gardens are lovely, it is hard work, but in the end pays off and you can enjoy them from year to year.

So sorry about your Ginger, she has a lovely spot to rest now.

I also love the photo of your youngster chasing the kitty up the tree, too funny!

TamboinMO said...

Your yard is looking like a park....beautiful.
That rabbit house is so darn cute...love it.
Sorry to hear about Ginger....looks like she lived a happy life while she was with you and I love your memorial to her.