Friday, May 15, 2009

My first Still Life!

Can you see the sweat on my brow?

I wanted to do something challenging this month for The Early Mercantile Gathering. So while flipping through my old books, outside at my little fold-up table, with Marshall pulling out freshly planted herbs, I saw a painting that I thought I'd try and emulate. The original was one called, "A Basket of Flowers" from 1830.

About three hours into this painting, I almost decided to give up. But I'm glad I didn't. I really like the way it turned out. Not sure how many of this type i'll do, but here she is nonetheless.

What do you think?

Photobucket

I just posted this on the Early Works Mercantile site. You can find it by clicking the link to the right. There are so many nice things there this month! Go take a peek!!

Personally, I like this painting as much as Marshall liked my rosemary plant. Let's just say, the only thing left is the pot and its shiny little price tag.

BRAT!

Photobucket

7 comments:

Angie said...

Beautiful still life! Thanks for sharing. I just noticed you've changed your background and now ours are the same. (for now anyway - I change frequently).

Love your blog and primitives!

Thanks for inspiring.

Angie

Julie said...

I love your still life! It's truly beautiful!

Dixie Sargent Redmond said...

Annie - love your still life! I have a theorem painting that is similar. Someone in 1976 had painted a basket of fruit, etc based on an old painting. I love yours! I'm looking right now at your prints of little girls in red dresses on my wall. Love your work!

Wings and Paws Whimsies said...

Hi Anniekins...wowsa, is there anything you can't do my friend!!! How did Marshall like your herb garden? LOL!! sounds like he liked it just fine, little stinker... Hehehehe, Hugs, MO

Judy Mackey said...

Very nice painting! And Marshall is a doll!! He looks absolutely innocent! I'm sure he didn't mean to destroy any rosemary plants!!

Martha said...

I think it is beautiful. You do great art work!
Your little guy is too cute, he does have a look on his face like a child who did something wrong. Pets become our little people!
Martha

Kritter Keeper said...

that is beautiful work! i found you from dog trot blog. your doggie is sweet, he probably was wondering why he didn't get any beef with that rosemary!