Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Nerve AHH!

I bought this little Minerva on eb@y a couple of weeks ago. When I got her home, I wasn't as thrilled with her as I usually am with my castaway dolls. So I hung her up in my studio, and promised her daily that I would make her spirit shine.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Last night, while working on Estella and sipping Chardonay, I took the little Minerva down and removed her clothing. What I found beneath was, to me, quite beautiful. What I didn't like was the cool tone of her skin against the warm, aged plum color of her body.

So I grabbed my toolbox and chose my paint and repainted her sweet face with a hit or miss type of painting method. Then I hand rubbed her prominent features down and antiqued her. This is how she looks now.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Finally, I added a rusty safety pin and a Sworavski Crystal heart, a kiss on the cheek, and displayed her proudly on one of my 8x8 timbers, under a beautiful assemblage by etsy artist, sewmanyroses.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

She just couldn't be happier.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

16 comments:

Hallowed Hill Primitives said...

What a nice face you haave given her....how sweet and I love Estella. Can't wait to see her finished.

Barb

Dixie Redmond said...

I love her, Annie! You really did make her shine. And she looks so wonderful beneath the art piece. You have such an eye!

Dixie

CARole said...

Annie, I love what you did with this doll. The dress it came with was ugh! She is much better now, full of personality. Love her paint job too. You are such a corky girl! Love that.
Carole

SympleTymes/PrimitiveRose said...

Annie your SWEET SWEET Estella is a keeper for sure, Her face is just wonderful! I can feel the love in this little doll !!Oh man she will be such fun to dress also!! Your so awesome with your babys!!!
Hugs Sherrie

Wisperingstars Folk Art Design said...

Wow Annie she looks wonderful!it is amazing what just a little dab here and there can do. I think she looks perfect without the dress, what a great idea ,it was hiding her well loved look.

Can't wait to see Estesla finished! ;)
Melissa

Suzanne said...

Annie~ how sweet your Minerva dollie is! I love how you warmed up her little face to match her undies!

SweetAnnee said...

Oh Annie, I love her!!!
I have a gal almost exactly
like her
but she doesn't have the
wonderful ANNIE painted face.
Girl you are AWESOME
Smiles, Deena

Wendy said...

Oooh Annie, your repaint is wonderful! And I love just her original cloth body showing without any clothes.

The Feathered Nest said...

Annie!! She definitely has had an extreme makeover! What a beautiful paint job ~ such simple little touches made a drastic difference, she's so pretty now...I have to say as a scroll down the pictures how neat it is for me to see something I made displayed in your home!! Thank you sweetie, xxoo, Dawn

Michelle said...

Annie!!! She is absolutely gorgeous!!!! You have magical hands!!! I LOVE her!!! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Tink

lauren said...

Oh! I love her--I agree her "underneaths" were quite beautiful as is and showing proudly. And now her face is truly shining! She looks beautiful. Good to you for leaving the tatters!!

Nanny's Cottage said...

You gave her a new life, Annie! She's so CUTE! And love to see what you're doing with your other little girls, too! :D
Nena

Sylvia Anderson said...

Annie~ I think you did a marvelous job repainting her face! She looks beautiful, and I prefer her without the outfit, and just like you have her with the little charm added! Perfect!

Lorraine said...

love her, Annie:o)!

anniebeez said...

Great job! So creative! Love the crystal heart!

jenny holiday said...

Fantastic! She is beautiful! I am having such a GREAT time going through your archives!! Hooray!! Happy Day!

xoxo Jenny
http://journals.aol.com/jennyeveryday/everyday-is-a-holiday/